Tahini “Caramel” Slices
Made without dates, these tahini “caramel” slices are a nice twist on the usual almond or peanut butter-infused, fruity caramel layer. They require little effort, a pinch of patience, and some self-restraint not to eat them all in one go…
- Preperation Time:
- 1 hour
- 150g Just Natural Organic cashew nuts, blitzed to a coarse crumb
- 60g Organic Kitchen extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 40g maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Just Natural Organic milled flaxseed
- 2 tbsp Just Natural Organic desiccated coconut
- 150g tahini
- 80g Organic Kitchen extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 80g maple syrup
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 100g dark chocolate, roughly chopped for melting
For the Base
For the Centre
For the Topping
How to Make it
- Line a standard 2lb loaf tin with baking paper and lightly grease with coconut oil or spray oil.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the base in a bowl. Press into the prepared tin and spread evenly with the back of a spoon. Place into the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes to “set”.
- Mix together all ingredients for the filling in a bowl. Pour over the base – which should now be firm to the touch – and return to the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes. (It's crucial for this layer to be firm to the touch before pouring over the melted chocolate.)
- Melt chocolate for 1 minute in the microwave or in a pot over a low heat, then pour over the firm centre.
- Set in the fridge for at least one hour. (I find if you set them in the freezer you get condensation on the chocolate layer – which isn’t particularly appetising.)
- Slice and serve from the fridge or remove for about 5 to 10 minutes before eating.
- Will keep for 2 weeks in the fridge or up to 1 month in the freezer.