Mexican Black Beans
Not quite a chilli, but these lightly spiced, super flavoursome black beans are mouthwateringly good, especially if served with some red pepper and sweetcorn for that special pop of sweetness. Paired with fluffy and lightly chewy short grain brown rice, this is my idea of perfect comfort food.
- Preperation Time:
- 10 minutes
- Cooking Time:
- 30 minutes
- 1 tbsp Organic Kitchen extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion finely diced (or 1 tsp onion powder)
- 1 tsp Just Natural Organic garlic granules (or 2 cloves of garlic)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 2 x 400g tins of Organic Kitchen black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 2x 400g tins of Organic Kitchen chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp Just Natural Organic ground cumin
- 2 tsp Just Natural Organic ground coriander
- 2 tsp Just Natural Organic paprika
- ¼ tsp Just Natural Organic cayenne pepper (or ½ tsp Just Natural Organic ground chilli)
- 1 small can of sweetcorn, drained
- Just Natural Organic brown jasmine rice, to serve
- Dairy-free or natural yogurt, fresh coriander, and nachos of choice, to serve
How to Make it
- Add oil to a large, deep pot.
- Once the pot is hot, add the onion and garlic. If using powders, immediately add the diced peppers and cook out for 8 minutes or so. Otherwise, cook for 5 minutes before adding the peppers and cook for a further 5 minutes more if using fresh ingredients.
- Add the black beans through to the sweetcorn.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes (you can thin out with a little water if desired).
- Serve with brown rice, a dollop of dairy-free or natural yogurt of choice, fresh coriander, and some nacho chips for crunch!